Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Eastside - One of my better deeds

As most of you know, philanthropic deeds or community service has not been my strongest point till I came to Stanford. However among the few things that I did in that area at Stanford, the one that I am the most proud of is teaching the kids at Eastside high stuff on "introductory finance". Basics on how banks work, credit cards, how to manage loans etc. Useful stuff for kids about to go to college, a lot of these kids being the first ones in their family to go to college. An amazing feat and a remarkable achievement. In these kids, I saw strong resolve and perhaps that glint of the so called American Dream.

Either way, it was an amazing experience working with these kids. Most importantly, they kept me grounded, reminding me of what the real world outside the GSB bubble is all about.

Below is the farewell card that I got from the kids in my class (co taught with Mike , Tom and later Laura)

-Ash
www.eastside.org






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home